On February 2, 1833, the General Assembly approved an act "to establish a Medical Institute in the City of Louisville." The act "incorporated and constituted a body politic, with perpetual succession, by the name and style of the Medical Institute of the City of Louisville." The nine members of this group would then select a president and a moderator to serve with seven managers. The president and moderator were to serve two-year terms, while the managers would serve one-year terms. This group was empowered to "acquire, hold, and enjoy all such real and personal estate as may be necessary and proper for the accommodation of the Institute and the advancement of Medical Science." The annual income of all "such real and personal estate" was not to exceed fifty thousand dollars.
Medical College, Louisville, Ky., designed by Gideon Shryock, who also designed the Old State Capitol. Dr. Charles Caldwell, a Transylvania medical school professor who had advocated that the Lexington medical school relocate in Louisville, led the founding of the Louisville institute after he was discharged from Transylvania. From Historical Sketches of Kentucky, by Lewis Collins, 1847, Martin F. Schmidt Collection, Kentucky Historical Society Collections.